“Hey dad! What you gonna do with that old ladder?”
I was in one of the “big box” home décor stores (for lack of a better term) the other day and found the coolest ladder. It looks like one that you would have found in a Mayan ruin. I fell in love with it because it goes with a couple of chairs I scrapped from an alley in back of a restaurant years ago. So, I bought it. We’re in the process of bricking a wall down our basement which we plan to use as the backdrop for these chairs and ladder. I’m just trying to figure out how I want to display the ladder. Do I want it on the wall behind the chairs? Do I want it propped up in between the chairs? It so happens that I have a cool black and white photo my brother took of a ruin that might look really cool attached to a rung on side of the ladder. When I get it done I’ll post a picture and you can tell me what you think. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions, I’m open!
While pondering about my latest “décor dilemma”, I ran across some really fun ideas to do with ladders. Talk about a DIY’ers dream! I mean, seriously, ANYONE can hang a ladder on a wall, horizontally, vertically, prop it up, sideways, etcetera.
- Paint it a funky color or do a shabby chic thing……….plain old white is okay, too, or leave it just the way you found it in dad’s/grandpa’s garage. THEN………
- hang your clothes from it
- stick your shoes on it
- Lay some plywood on the rungs from front to back and you’ve got a cool shelf to………
- Role up your pretty towels and BAM!….funky linen “closet” for your bathroom
- Don’t role up your towels and just hang them from it
- Kitchen spices……..just an extension to your pantry, or maybe it IS your pantry
- Oh yeah….put some books on it
- Put one in a closet for extra hanging space for kids clothes
- Put one in your closet for all those scarves taking up needed sock space in a drawer
- Great for plant stands……don’t forget about the shorties; the little two rung ladders. CUTE!
- Suspend one from the ceiling on your patio, hang some lanterns from it and behold….the most charming candlelit outdoor chandelier.
- Heck! Hang it in the garage for all that…..stuff you could hang from it
- Don’t forget the laundry room. Great place to hang those shirts you can’t put in the dryer
- Think TRELLIS ~ inside or out!
FUN * FUN * FUN